The Heritage House originated as a boarding house in 1911. In 1922, Tom and Leola Adams bought it and relocated to the Mississippi gulf coast from Bayou la Batre. Under their ownership, it served an array of purposes, from boarding house, restaurant, to general store.
In the mid-80s, after the passing of both Leola and Tom, the building was purchased by Robert and Shirley Patrick. They turned it into a buffet-style restaurant that steadily gained popularity along the Gulf Coast.
In 1996, Kathy Baker purchased the restaurant and continued the legacy of serving southern, buffet-style food. However, in 2005 the original Heritage House was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. After suffering this loss, Kathy moved the restaurant to its current location on Highway 90 in a new building, but with the same, delicious southern cooking and friendly faces.
Today, The Heritage House continues its legacy with the help of Kathy's friends and family. Shirley Switzer (Kathy's sister) and Timothy Switzer, (Kathy's great nephew) help run and manage the business. Elva Henderson (Kathy's sister-in-law) and Libby Boudwin (close family friend) also work to make sure the restaurant lives up to its name.